I am coming to the understanding that no matter what you do, veterinary medicine is a profession that causes the line between career and life to be pretty fuzzy, and this is something I am already struggling with. Where do you draw the line between the importance of your patients and the importance of your family? I really look up to the doctors I work with that bend over backwards for their patients - I have seen them come in on days off and stay until late hours of the night taking emergencies or working to solve the multiple problems one of their patients may have. I greatly admire their compassion and devotion, which along with their incredible expertise and skill, make them wonderful veterinarians. But along with this comes sacrifice in relation to their families and personal time. A LOT of sacrifice. Is this needed in order to be a great veterinarian? Does it make you less of a veterinarian when you want to put your family first? Where do you draw the line, or CAN you even draw the line? I want to be there for my patients more than anything, but I don't know if I can do it at the expense of Steve, our pets and our future child or children (despite this being a LONG way away but still...). I don't think its fair for Steve to be home alone each evening or to have to do all the housework (like he has been doing) because I work late and then am too exhausted when I get home to do anything but eat and sleep. I don't want to be the wife or mother who wasn't there.
Technically Steve and I are still "newlyweds", we haven't even had our first anniversary yet. We have a wonderful marriage that I just want to keep building and enjoying. I want us to be equals in the home and have many many happy times and memories. Can I have this and be a GOOD, caring full time veterinarian? Is it ok to actually take and enjoy a weekend off when you have really sick patients? Do you always have to stay late when an emergency comes in right before close? Or is it ok to send them to the nearest emergency clinic? This particular weekend is a good example: I am supposed to have from noon on Saturday to Monday morning off but one of my puppy patients is really sick with parvovirus and started going downhill this morning. She needs fluids and antibiotics, so I agreed to come in tonight and tomorrow evening to help the doctor on clinic duty this weekend tend to my patient when they bring her in for treatment. I didn't think it was fair to dump it on her when the puppy is technically my patient and therefore my responsibility. But at the same time is this fair to Steve and I b/c now we don't really get a weekend. I fear I will be dealing with situations like this thoroughout my whole career and I hope I can figure out how and where to draw the line so I can put my family first yet still be a good veterinarian. Sigh.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment