Saturday, July 29, 2006
Job update
So far things with the new job as an official veterinarian have been going well. I am very comfortable with puppy/kitten and adult wellness exams and am quickly gaining confidence in surgery. My lowest confidence level so far has been with sick patients, especially when owners don't have a lot of money to spend on diagnostics. It makes me feel so good when my diagnosis and plan match those of the other doctors! Confidence then gets a +1 :) But it is so difficult when the diagnosis isn't clear and I am not sure what to do, or when I'm dealing with a case that I never had in vet school and then am even more clueless. The doctors I work with are wonderful, especially Sue who has been a guardian angel. She is always there willing to help when I need a consult or a boost of confidence. It makes me feel so good that she and the other doctors have confidence in me and have told me that I'm a very good doctor from what they have seen thusfar. Sue and Janet are especially encouraging, especially when I feel pushed to the max. The question I keep asking myself and God is when the heck my confidence is going to be where it should be. I just don't trust myself like I should, and I'm nervous a lot that I'll get the wrong diagnosis or prescribe the wrong treatment. I am always having to ask the advice of the other doctors, even when they are really busy, for me to feel secure about what I am doing for the patient so I can sleep at night. I'm learning though, and thats what is most important right now I guess, especially since I have only been an official veterinarian for three weeks now :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment