Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I Wish God Could Explain......

This week is my first week teaching hematology to the 4th year vet students by myself. But before this week, I had the pleasure of sitting in on 2 other rotations (to see how the other residents teach) and getting to know the students. One student in particular really stood out to me, not only because she was really bright and worked hard, but because she had such a vibrant and positive personality, one that could light up a room. Her name was Cassandra, and she was killed in a car accident this past Sunday night. When I found out about it I was numb. I remember having a conversation with her not even 2 weeks ago about the veterinary board exams, jobs, etc. I can't even describe the range of emotions I have felt since I found out about her accident yesterday morning. Growing up I was always taught that God has a plan for each and every one of us, and that sometimes it is hard to understand, but not only do I not understand it, it makes me so angry and really tests my faith. I hate how much pain and suffering happens to people in this life, and I hate it even more when wonderful young people are taken from us. Cassandra had so much love for the veterinary profession and so much drive to pursue her dream. She was so close to earning her DVM and had so much life ahead of her. My heart is breaking for her fiance, her family, and her friends, some of which are my current students. Please keep them in your prayers during this extremely difficult time.
It is times like these that really make me take a long look at my life and focus on what is really important. Don't focus on petty crap, it doesn't matter. Take pleasure in the small things - a smile, conversation with a friend, a hug or kiss from those you love the most, your cat purring in your lap. Cherish every moment you have because life can be taken from you in an instant. Always forgive, and love with your whole heart and soul.

1 comment:

Erin Morgan said...

You should post some before and current photos of your weight loss. I'd love to see them!!